Thursday, June 14, 2007

self-actualization be darned.

So, I read in this book this weekend (praise habit by david crowder. I'm going to lend you that, too) that God in our lives should be compared to one of those habits that the nuns wear. As in, people see it and make judgements about you as a person; about what you're like to relate to, about how you feel about things, etc. And while "habits" are also defined as little things that you do often and unconsciously, they are also a name for the heavy clothing that nuns and monks wear each day. If Christ can be that habit, both the unconscious way of acting in situations because of his influence and the unconscious decision, each morning, to wake up and not say, "what am I going to wear today" but instead, "I'm going to wear Christ today as the most visible part of my attire."

It's a weird concept, but I like it. I guess, personally, I only really like who I am when I'm wearing that habit of Christ... and that's how it should be, right? Because with Christ, I am not self conscious about my hair, my clothes, my body, my laugh, whatever. With Christ, it's all about Him--I draw my glory from him, as I think people were created to do. In fact, even Christ once said, "My glory comes from the Father." Isn't that our role, then? To draw our glory from God, not from other people or a society that forces us to conform to standards that are not particularly Christ-like?

If even Christ drew his glory from the Father, far be it from me to try to get mine anywhere else.

Self-actualization be darned.

No comments: