Monday, June 23, 2008

second.

You don't have to listen hard at night to hear the waterfalls.

A girl passes me on the curb,
on her way to a booty call (I'll keep her secret)
and I hear nature alone.

I picture what my mother will say when I bring her to such beauty,
crystal glass tumbling off rocks older than Jesus.
Because the water's so dirty, and it's so dangerous,
she won't swim.

My father, as always, content to observe from afar,
with a book.

My brothers, full of life (and in some cases, hormones) will wrestle each other on the rocks
(and probably get hurt, she says)
and probably get hurt, I think.

But I have no doubt that you won't let 10 minutes pass
and stay dry.
It's not in your nature to observe beauty
and not experience it.

It's really rather formulaic, you'll say later, just grab hands and do it.
They won't understand.
-6/22/08

No comments: