Saturday, September 15, 2007

and you enter suddenly, and I am lost again.

Apparently black nail polish is in. Who knew? I definately thought that it was mostly used for halloween costumes of witches.

Anyway.

I read an awesome blog on this kid's facebook today about whether God was real, and about how, although he's totally a believer, sometimes when he's really busy he falls into the trap of "non-relational' Christianity, where you pray and then God does his thing and you read a couple of lines of Scripture each night and say grace over meals and that's it. Nada mas.

That's not enough for me. I know God is real, and as I was reading this guy's account of how he knew that God was real, and he was really right. He mentioned how he made it through the week. It's not because we're smart, or we're good time-managers. It's because God, in His infinite wisdom, saw fit for us to do so. Because God needed us to be here this week. And I'm hopeful about next week, but then again, I very well might not live to see that. So I'd better try as hard as I can to live today to the best it can be. Take chances, make mistakes, sing out loud, don't straighten my hair, wear something outlandish that I love.

God is in the reassurance that I've studied enough--I can take this exam and do well. God is in the good feeling I get when I talk to the woman who swipes my card at the DUC and ask her about her day, or in the smiles of the happy, slightly-drunk kids as they get back safely from frat row for the night. God's even in the hard stuff--the movie about human trafficking, the awkward feeling when you go to a meeting of a club for the first time and don't know anyone, trying to let someone down gently when you tell them you're not interested in them.

This boy ended his blog with a line that I loved. "Faith means having to see God as more real that anything or anyone I have ever encountered."

That's my life, right there in a nutshell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Em.